Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ghostigator.com - The Phantom Cat







My First Haunting

E-mail
Back in the spring of 1993 my mother died and left me a small
sum of money. My mother and I had always had a troubled
relationship. At the time of her death, we were not even on
speaking terms. So the inheritance came as a surprise, and
the feelings that came with it, mixed as they were with grief,
confusion, and the knowledge that with her death we would
never be able to mend our relationship, overwhelmed me.

I took the money and bought a small car and a small house. 
Recently divorced and a single parent with limited income, I 
had accepted that home ownership was probably now out of 
the realm of possibility, and yet suddenly, because of my 
mother’s death, my children and I had a home to call our own. 
I was grateful, and I was very sad.

We weren’t in the house more than a day or two when my 
children started to talk about seeing a cat inside the house, 
and hearing the voices of other children. At first I dismissed 
their stories: We didn’t own a cat, and I figured the voices 
they heard were almost certainly kids who lived in the 
neighborhood. Then, one day, alone in the house, out of the 
corner of my eye I caught sight of what looked like a cat 
darting through the kitchen and down the basement stairs. 
Immediately I heard what sounded like children singing at 
the bottom of those stairs.

Nervous and bit frightened, I descended the stairs only to 
discover nothing but an empty basement. The sound stopped 
as soon as I reached the bottom of the staircase and of course 
no cat was anywhere to be seen. I walked towards the end of 
the basement farthest from the stairs, and suddenly, as I 
reached the far wall, the sound of children singing seemed to 
be coming from upstairs where I had just been. I went back 
up the stairs and the sound stopped. No one was outside the 
house. No one was inside the house. No radios or TVs were 
playing anywhere.

Over the course of the next few months this phenomenon 
repeated itself several times. More than once the sounds 
even came when another adult was around as a witness, 
so it wasn’t just me hearing them, and it wasn’t just my kids. 
These sounds of children singing would seem to be in the 
basement, but then, as soon as we descended the stairs the 
sounds would shift to the upstairs. No neighborhood kids or 
sources for the sounds were ever found.




Go check out Ghostigator.com for yourself...  sz



My First Haunting

No comments:

Post a Comment